Accessory dwelling units (ADUs) are becoming an increasingly popular way to create more affordable housing options in cities across the country. Accessory Dwelling Unit ADUs can provide several benefits for homeowners and renters alike, including:
- Additional income: An ADU can be a great way for homeowners to generate some additional income.
- More affordable housing: ADUs can help to reduce the cost of housing in a city by providing more affordable rental options.
- Private space for your adult child, parent, sibling, or other family members.
- A quiet office or creative space.
- Increased density: ADUs can help to increase the density of a neighborhood, which can have several positive benefits, such as improved public transportation and reduced traffic congestion.
- Reduced environmental impact: By increasing density, ADUs can help to reduce the environmental impact of a city by reducing the need for new construction.
Building an ADU can be a great way to create more affordable housing options in your city. If you’re considering building an ADU on your property, there are a few things to keep in mind:
Besides the permit, you may also need to get approval from your neighbors.
Decide on which material you want to use and the square footage you will need. With some planning, you can create a space that meets your needs and the needs of your community.
If you’re considering building an Accessory Dwelling Unit, be sure to check with your local planning department to see if there are any restrictions or requirements in your area.
If you need help with the building permitting process and/or need an ADU blueprint, please contact Martin House Designs. We have over 20 years of experience in home design, Accessory Dwelling Unit design, and permitting services. Ask for our expert home designer Larry Martin. He can be reached at (737) 414-9698 during regular business hours Monday through Friday.